Friday, September 26, 2008

People Pleasing and the Gas Crisis

I just erased a gargantuan entry about how I am a People Pleaser and how it pisses me off that people take advantage of that. I figured that you guys don't need to read that crap - that is for my therapist (if I had one).


Soooo....anyhoo. Atlanta has no gas. Hilton Head Island has gas, but The City Too Busy To Hate is apparently The City Too Busy To Get My Ay Ess Ess Some Gas. I was driving home from work today, my eyes peeled for a convenience store that actually had The Elusive Liquid, and - miracle of miracles - I found one!! Evidently, the gas had just started flowing, as they were putting the little plastic numbers back up on the price board right as I pulled in. I only got half a tank, so as to leave a little more for my fellow man. Smugly driving on to pick up Annie from Doggie Day Care, I realized, "DAMN IT - I am a people pleaser yet again!!!!!" Everyone else at that station was filling up his car, and some were even filling up extra gas tanks in their truck beds or hatchbacks. But, I felt the need to be a good citizen, to take no more than I truly needed. Is this a woman thing? A Southern thing? A co-dependent thing? What????? Because now, in defiance of whatever it is, I am sitting at home telling Yancey he can get his own damn dinner (although he's already started making us both dinner) and that the laundry ain't going to do itself and that I am getting a manicure tomorrow and that I want Starbucks at breakfast. He's like, "What in God's name are you talking about?"

Awwwwww hell.....I don't know. But, if it makes you happy, I'll give you some of my gas.

Love Y'all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, but just because you don't neeeeed it all right this minute (gas), you will be needing the entire amount over time. What you don't use will sit in your tank until it needs to be used. You're not keeping it away from others in need...you bought it, will need it soon, and so can they. It's not like you're buying up all the oxygen.
'Cause I'd have a problem with that.
JMO.

Anonymous said...

I was going to post on craiglist seeking a squatter for my car on the gas line, but after reading about you, I figured you'd probably offer to do for me.

Anonymous said...

found my way here from Kristie's blog. Your comment on baby signs had me cracking up- we do baby signs with my daughter too. Never thought of looking up the sign for jackass- lol!

Anonymous said...

oh my. please fill up next time. really ... please.