Tuesday, November 4, 2008

People Are Weird

As the election results come rolling in, I am thinking less about who will win and more about what I saw at the polls. Not because I don't care who wins but because I have heard more than enough about what will happen when *insert either name here* wins. I have very strong beliefs about the person for whom I voted (and many more about the person for whom I did not), but since I've heard enough, I'm sure you have too.

My point (and I do have one - thanks, Ms. Degeneres, great book by the way) is that I am shocked about people's behavior at the polls. I can't seem to shake it. OK. People feel free to heckle one another in movie theaters (shhhh, sit down, turn that phone off). They get into verbal and physical fights about sports teams (GA/FL anyone? UNC/Duke? Oh God, I hate Duke). They argue during protests - standing face to face, spitting distance even, straddling an imaginary line that neither group will cross. They picket outside buildings. They boo players on their own teams for poor play. They flip people off in traffic (or worse). They argue politics with their best friends over wine-soaked, too-late-served, supposed-to-be-their-one-night-away-from-the-kids dinners. Ummm, maybe that's just me. But you know what they *don't* do? At least where I live?

They DON'T act ugly at the polls. I stood in line for 4 hours* to vote last week, and there were so many people there I couldn't even begin to count them. All ages and races - some there with friends or family (including really little kids) and some there alone. And, I live in a huge city that has seen its share of conflict among its citizens. Not ONE person talked politics that I could hear. Not one argument. Not one discussion of the "issues" that was forged out of the false camaraderie you feel when standing next to someone for 4 hours. The only thing that I saw people get testy about was other people using their electronic devices in unapproved areas - something we were told often not to do. I mean, people TATTLED on each other for that. But no political pressures. People were nice to each other, held each other's place in line and (GASP) let people ahead if they needed to pick up their kids (I actually saw that one).

Don't you think that's just the slightest bit weird? I mean, I know you can't come to the polls armed with fliers or a well-edited speech, but still!? In this election, so personal to so many, not one argument in a line that wrapped around the outside of the Federal Building (not to mention the astounding serpentine line they had working inside)? Seriously, what does that say about us? Do we all feel so respectful by the time we get to the polling place that we just want to do our thing? Is it like after 9/11 when everyone felt closer to his fellow man? Or, are we all just so into our books or Sudoku or whatever that we just want some peace and quiet? Actually, that's me. For real. Four uninterrupted hours reading my book, people watching and planning the next 5 years of my life was heaven. Except, I did no 5-year planning - just reading and watching.

But anyway. I am glad I voted. I was caught off guard by the emotion I felt as I did so and had to take a deep breath as I got to my machine. I realized that while I had stood in line 4 hours to vote, that was a hell of a lot shorter than my grandfather spent fighting in WWII (or that my grandmother spent keeping the home fires burning). It was a hell of a lot safer environment than many "democracies" provide to their voters. And, it is a monumental election - no matter what the outcome. I am proud to be an American, and I am proud and thankful to have the ability to vote. And you know what? No matter who wins, I am determined to live my life. I want to be a good wife. I want to raise kids that will be happy and self sufficient. I want to be true to what I believe. And I will. So, Hail to the Chief and all that. But as for me, I'll be living my life. God Bless America.

*Yes, Yancey made fun of me for voting early in fear of long lines. And by "made fun of" I mean he chastised me for not voting on Election Day. In his mind, that's the day we all vote. That's the day it happens. That's the day. Serves me right that he voted today and waited all of about 30 minutes. Whatever.

1 comment:

Lee-Anne said...

Proud of you, Miss Jenny, and so are the grandparents you referenced. By the way, they couldn't get to the polls but made arrangements for ballots to be brought to their house . . . now THAT'S what I'm talkin about!!