Thursday, October 9, 2008

Good Housekeeping?

So.....the 20 year reunion was the bomb!!!! I saw so many friends and laughed about so many things! Several of my friends have moved home to Big Lex (although we all swore we would get the heck out and never return), and it was a nice reminder of how wonderful small town life can be. We sat on our friends' front porch(es), drank tons (especially the South Carolina-brewed-sweet-tea-infused vodka called Firefly - go find it and buy it!) and remembered the olden days. Many things were rehashed, forgiven and rediscovered. I *highly* recommend going to your reunion - even if you think noone will remember you or that you have gotten fat or that you have grown "beyond" that time in your life. Trust me - you haven't, they haven't. And everyone is looking at life through hind-sight-rose-colored glasses. So, just go!

Anyway...tonight was a night of fun and friendship with my neighborhood amigas. Better known as Bunco. A dice game that is mindless and fun and therapy. Yancey came home from his golf lesson to our 14 year old next door neighbor minding the boys while her Mom and I sat a few doors down drinking wine and watching our cell phones for any signs of trouble. Thankfully, nothing called us home from our night with 12 friends, all eager to hang out and relax and laugh. Not to mention that $120 was on the line ($10 each). I have won Bunco once in about 8 years, and tonight upped my winning streak to TWICE ....Yippee!!!! I got home, and when Yancey asked (as he always does because he knows I never win) where my winnings were......I whipped them out of my (still really unneeded) bra and waved that money around like it was our new 401K (actually, with today's market, it might be!). So, all in all, a good night.

So, as I am winding down, I grab a magazine and start blindly turning pages. I am intrigued. How to organize your junk drawer.....your pots and pans....how to find a Halloween costume for unusually small 2 year olds.....how to find makeup that is easy to put on and cheap. I am LOVING this mag. Then, I look at the front, and it is Good Housekeeping. GOOD HOUSEKEEPING people!!! This is my Mom's magazine (love you Lee-Anne but, still!). This is the magazine that is in the dentist's office, but it's 3 months old. What??? How am I relating to Good Houskeeping? An hour ago, I was funny, irreverant, cussing like a sailor and thinking I was but a young pup.

So, as I retire for the night, I realize that I am still that crazy 17 year old blue-eye-lined girl from Lexington, NC but I am also the almost-38-year-old wife and mother of twins. I relish my time with my friends, but I also search out ways to make my life and my family's life easier, more creative and more fun in general. So, I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that while In Touch, US Weekly, People, Vogue and Elle are necessary for me to feel "in tune"......so is Good Houskeeping. Ouch and Hooray.

Love Y'all!!

1 comment:

Po said...

Here I thought you were going to say Real Simple. Because I LOVE me Real Simple!!!