Saturday, December 6, 2008

Can A Day Start At 9PM?

Whew. Another one bites the dust. Another day, that is. I didn't think it was possible for Yancey and I to barely speak to each other during a day in which we weren't angry with each other. Today, though, I was proven wrong. Y4 is taking oral steroids - sort of a "reset button" for his chest stuff that's been ongoing for a few months. We are happy for it, but the side effects (per the pulmonologist) are "grumpy, moody and hungry" and we had yet to see the hungry. Of course, as soon as I told Yancey what the side effects were, he kindly asked how long *I* had been on oral steroids. Ha ha ha. I would add a couple other words to the end of that, but they aren't safe for the blogging world.

Foster woke up cute as a button this morning, talked a blue streak, and ran downstairs and hid behind his high chair with Monkey to read a little book. Laughed his butt off. Yancey.....well, he cried. Another lovely side effect of these meds (I HOPE) is that he wakes up in the AM (and from naps) crying hysterically and telling something to go "awayyyyyyy." Please Lord, don't let me be poisoining that little guy (she says half-jokingly). It's too cold outside to play, so we muddled through. Steak & Shake for lunch was pretty easy. Although with no makeup, bad skin, and a bad new haircut OF COURSE we saw someone Yancey knows (we always do). I'm sure that nice man and his 12 year old son were thinking Yancey could have totally done better.

Then, we were "those people" in the grocery store around 5PM. We had no clue why Y4 was screaming, and Yancey was trying to push Foster in the twin stroller by himself, but Foster kept trying to climb out. So, stroller out to the car, Yancey on Mom's hip, Foster in grocery cart, Dad pushing from the sides because Foster wants to Drive. Got everything we needed, but Yancey screamed the whole time. So, I took him to the car to watch Monsters, Inc. and drive around the parking lot while Dad and Foster checked out. Yancey kept wanting "MOVIE OFF" but every time I turned it off he wanted "MOVIE ON" all while crying like his heart would break. Then, when we got home, he wanted "MOVIE ON" for an hour. Then he asked for oatmeal. Now THAT I can do! He ate 2 and a half packets. He's 20 pounds. Good Lord, I guess that's the "hungry." Bath and bed. Thank you Jesus. I realized that all day, Yancey and I had that "hunker down" mentality - don't look to either side, just keep going whatever you do. We didn't talk much, although we did look at each other and laugh bewilderdly (a word?) many times. Thank God for the 15+ years we have behind us.

So, now we sit with a wreck of a kitchen and a couple bottles of red wine open (with scotch on standby). Somehow, we have made it through this day without filing for divorce. I credit the "not talking" portion of the day for that. Now, we are watching football, and I am reading the new James Patterson book - short chapters, easy story - just perfect. And, as I type, Yancey has actually built a fire. Ahhhh.....now the day begins.

No comments: